Timeline of events
1984 – Mr. Sultan Salahuddin Owaisi, M.P., as Chairman of Darussalam Educational Trust approached the Government of Andhra Pradesh, for permission to establish a private medical college for the minorities.
8/7/1984 – The Andhra Pradesh Government, headed by chief minister Mr. Bhaskar Rao issued a historical G.O. No. MS 575 granting permission to start a Medical College (probably the most important decision taken by this government that lasted only 30 days)
12/5/1984 – The Osmania University recognized the college in a letter No. 119H/1139/84 Acad. (this was Dr. Hashim Ali Akhter’s last year as Dean of Osmania University)
1/26/1985 – Deccan College of Medical Sciences was inaugurated on Indian Republic Day by Hazrath Mohammed Mehmood-ul-Hussaini, Sajjada Nasheen Dargah-e-Khaja Banda Nawaz of Gulbargah. Hazrath Agha Dawood Saheb also graced the occasion.
Jan 1985 – Classes commenced in the Anatomy Department at the palatial building of Nawab Lutf-ud-Dawla at Zafargarh, Hyderabad. There were seven students in the class initially.
Jan 1985 – Initial faculty appointments included Dr. Mohammed Yousufuddin Ansari (Principal and Director), Dr. Mirza Hamid Ali Baig (Vice Principal and Professor of Biochemistry), Dr. Jaya Madam (Professor of Anatomy) and Dr. Kakarla Subba Rao (Professor of Physiology).
Fall 1986 – Medifest (the first cultural and sports meet organized by 1984 batch)
1986-1987 – Teaching affiliations established with five hospitals
- Princess Esra Hospital (Primary teaching Hospital)
- Princess Durrushehwar Hospital
- Muslim Maternity Hospital
- South Central Railway Hospital
- CRPF Hospital
1986-1990 – Paraclinical and Clinical Departments of Pharmacology, Microbiology, Pathology, Forensic Medicine, Preventive Medicine, Otorhinolaryngology, Ophthalmology, General Medicine, Pediatrics, Surgery and Obstetrics/Gynecology were established.
1988 – Second Medifest organized by 1986 batch.
1990 – First batch of students graduates with top marks in the University.
1989 to 1990 – The first batch of students from DCMS arrives in the US and UK
1988-1992 – Numerous inspection teams from Osmania University and Medical Council of India visited the college.
November 1992 – The Medical Council of India granted permanent recognition to our college, paving the way for graduates to pursue post graduate education at home and abroad.
1993-1996 – Construction of a state of the art 1000 bed teaching hospital, Owaisi Hospital and Research Center adjacent to the Medical college in Zafargarh.
1995 – The first college magazine, Odyssey published by students of 1990 batch.
1995 – Decarnival ’95, a popular cultural and sports meet organized by the students of 1990 batch.
1995 – Dr. C.M. Habeebullah appointed as Director of Deccan College of Medical Sciences and Owaisi Hospital and Research Center.
1996 – Owaisi Hospital and Research Center inaugurated and first Intensive Care Unit started.
1998 – Paraclinical post graduate courses started at Deccan College of Medical Sciences.
2003-2006 – Clinical Post Graduate courses started at Deccan College of Medical Sciences.